[Buddha-l] Swearing

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Tue Sep 26 02:23:14 MDT 2006

I was interested in Richard's comment about the guy who assessed a man's
religion by the way he swears. I wonder if the words themselves have any
significance or whether they are copied from others and become habitual.
For example, I most often use the f word and sometime Christ.  I have no
idea what religion the f word could relate to but as I was brought up as
a Christian, one could suggest some link there.  However, I think I have
merely copied others - probably by watching the wrong sort of television
programmes.  I think it is a sort of spontaneous swearing - an expletive
without much conceptual thought or faith behind it.

There could be another sort of exclamation, similar to swearing, that is
a cry for help.  This could be associated with concepts or a faith. When
one is overwhelmed by a situation,  a frustrated call for help may sound
like swearing. Perhaps this reveals our instinct, gut feeling or belief.
One example that comes to mind was when I spoke with Prof. Paul Williams
shortly after his return to Roman Catholicism. He looked at such moments
and he asked himself who he really turns to - and it was not the Buddha,
Dharma and Sangha - but Jesus Christ / God.

At our centre, we had an interesting discussion last week about praising
the Buddha.  Our Geshe suggested it was something like flattery, wishing
for something in return.  Any praise that expects something in return is
an appeal for intervention on one's behalf. My point was that, if Buddha
is wise, compassionate and equanimous, he will always be helping us. Any
appeal to him - praise etc - only changes our own mind, not his. This is
not to deny the benefits of praising Buddha,  but to appreciate what the
process is.

Richard's attempts to create Buddhist swear words, if used as a means of
appeal for help,  would be rather empty and pointless if he were to hold
the same view as I do about praise to the Buddha.  That is, one would be
appealing to oneself to change, wake up, get wise etc. rather that to an
external being. So what one is left with is, perhaps, calling oneself an
idiot in the present moment, recalling that one was an idiot in the past
and resolving not to be an idiot in the future.  In short, one swears at
samsara. Successful appeals for help are contingent on our own efforts.

--
Metta
Mike Austin