[Buddha-l] The Body in Buddhist Practice

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 21 09:37:12 MDT 2006

Sorry to reply late to the thread.  Though I received the daily posts,
because of some computer glich, I could not post.

I know posture is stressed much in Zen , especially so in Soto Zen. It also
seems that good posture can be conducive to easy breathing  and staying in
one relaxed position for a long period of time. My own practice has been Zen
for some years now. I think that a calm undistracted and concentrated mind
leads to easy breathing  and staying in one relaxed position for a long
period of time as much as, if not more, than good posture. I wonder if it is
not that the Japanese emphasis on perfect/good posture that leads one to
think it necessary?

A few years ago I  spent a fair amount of time meditating with an
experienced Indian meditator from the Advaita Vedanta tradition who could go
into
"samadhi" and maintain it effortlessly for hours all the while his posture
was as bad as it gets. His posture was always bad but it did not seem to
keep him from going into these "states" and maintaing them for hours. I know
his effortless states were not considered Chan states, but I do not think
that is relevant to the discussion. I also knew another fellow, rather tall
and heavy, in the Zen tradition whose posture was quite bad but he too could
sit
concentrated for long times. When he got up, his body did not seem to
bother him.

Having been around both Chinese and Japanese Chan/Zen centers, I would add
that one sees much more "less than perfect posture" with the Chinese.
Posture and form for that matter is stressed much more in Japanese oriented
Zen centers.  I wonder if the connection between the importance of
good/perfect
posture and meditation  is not another culturally mediated idea?

Stuart