[Buddha-l] Quaker peace testimony and Buddhist pacifism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Sep 20 18:29:02 MDT 2006

".............For some this might
include learning to use weapons, but the ideal would be to learn to defend
oneself, and the nation, in ways that require neither killing nor harm."

In my readings of Gandhi, he never advocated that anyone learn to use
weapons.
If he did, then he was being self-contradictory (or he was going through one
phase that got revised in a later phase of his ethical self-development).
Instead, he strongly advocated self-defense, as well as satyagraha
"offense," as "non-violent resistance" and that is what I referred to.

This was also what ML King taught his followers to adhere to. They were not
to take up arms.

Contrary to what Gandhi advocated and spent most of his life trying to
embed by his own example into the minds of India's independence movers,
Buddhism in some texts, at least, it seems to me, does allow resort to arms
under certain circumstances. But I cannot find that the canonical writings
bear a singular position on the matter.
Still,  it's not really appropriate, perhaps, to compare one individual,
Mahatma
Gandhi, to an entire historical tradition like Buddhism!

Joanna