[Buddha-l] Buddhism & War

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Sep 20 16:43:30 MDT 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 13:18, curt wrote:

> This is one of Richard's trademark "I have never heard of such a thing"
> statements. In case anyone takes his little joke seriously, here is some
> relevant data

What I said was no joke, and you still have not provided any data that are
relevant. Every statement you provided is consistent with both the Quaker
peace testimony and with everything said about war in Buddhist texts. So I
still cannot see what distinction you are trying to make when you claim that
Buddhism endorses non-violence but not pacifism. But I admire you for
sticking to your guns. Ever thought of running for president? That seems to
be a job in which staking out an untenable position and then defending it
stubbornly is part of the job description.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy