[Buddha-l] Buddhism & War

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Sep 20 13:21:28 MDT 2006

. Makes one wonder about the value of non-self-defense.

> I thought that it was the Buddha's teaching that there is no self
> to be defended.
>
> --
> Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
=============
Depends on what's meant by "self"  in the concept "self-defense."
In the case of making war, the concept obviously does not refer to the
notion of anatta.
As Tessa Bartholomeusz's essay indicated, in Sri Lanka the monks
participating in the war against the Tamil minority consider that
self-defense means defense of the dhamma, and by exension of Sri Lanka as
the holy land of dhamma. I wonder if a similar argument was made by the
Tokugawa shogun when he decided to stop the advance of Christianity in Japan
by arresting and executing Christians (but this is a only a guess. Let's say
the argument "could have been" made). But also, Buddhism in Japan seems
never to have adopted a strictly pacifist attitude.