[Buddha-l] The Body in Buddhist Practice

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sat Sep 16 11:00:46 MDT 2006

On Sep 16, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Jim Peavler schreef:
>

>> On Sep 15, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
>>
>>> . My first impression is that the body plays primarely a
>>> symbolic  part in Buddhism. Especially in Zenbuddhism, where the
>>> position of  the body is a symbol of the quality of the
>>> meditation. In Theravada  the body is simply considered a
>>> nuisance because it hinders  meditation, ...
>>

>> My own training (admittedly Zen) suggests that the body is much
>> more  than symbolic -- it practically IS meditation. There is no
>> question  that the posture is often mentioned in symbolic ways,
>> but I think it  is also true that there is hardly any other way to
>> sit that is so  conducive to easy breathing and staying in one
>> relaxed position for a  long period of time. And the body is a
>> full participant in any  meditation I have ever been taught and it
>> is what meditates. If Zazen  is the practice, then the body is the
>> instrument and the mind the  observer.  Or so it seems to me.
>>
> You show very clearly how ambiguous the function and meaning of the
> body is in Zen. First you write that the body IS meditation (which
> sounds great, but raises a lot of ontological questions) and
> subsequently you write that the body is merely the INSTRUMENT of
> meditation.

I guess it depends on what "is" is.  I said "practically", meaning
that the body/mind is the most important thing to consider in the
kind of meditation I do. I don't feel any ambiguity in that at all. I
think of INSTRUMENT in the sense of a violin, except the instrument
and player are one and the same.