[Buddha-l] Re: Views of Information & Knowledge

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 11:07:29 MDT 2006

Howdy Bernie

>>I'm not saying that Nagarjuna was performing particle physics, but the
>>similarities here are rather obvious.
>
>Only if you do violence to the two theories.

It's hard for me to see how trying to understand the larger implications of
a scientific theory constitutes "doing violence" to the theory, particularly
if the interpretation you're working with is driven by data and not
vice-versa. That is precisely why I am interested in the Copenhagen
Interpretation - because it is an interpretation.

The fact that the professional physicists that you know and work with
restrict their thinking about these issues to the parameters circumscribed
by their discipline does not mean that the implications of their findings do
not have larger relevance to what we know of the world. You are free to lack
interest in a conversation pertaining to the broader implications of both
science and Buddhist philosophy, but you are wrong to insist that such a
conversation should not occur.

As I argued before with Erik, discourse is not so context-dependent that we
are unable to draw implications concerning our world from specialized
discourse. If it were so, it is hard for me to see what the larger point is
of looking at this material, unless one is purely interested in developing
technology, say. Then there are persons like myself, who are interested in
understanding their world.

There is a strong contingent within science that is interested in
understanding what these theories mean in a larger context, as I am -
persons like the aforementioned Bohr and Heisenberg. Both thought and wrote
quite a bit about these matters. You can dismiss me, but you will be
harder-pressed to dismiss them, if you take your own credentials seriously.

Barnaby