[Buddha-l] Views of Information & Knowledge (Culture & Religion)

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:48:58 MDT 2006

Hi Erik,

If the statements of these yogis can have no relevance beyond their own
cultuarlly-bound context, why should we look at them at all? In the
perspective you advocate, they cannot have any relevance to our lives.
Surely the existential and ethical conditions of classical India are even
more different from our modern circumstances than basic aspects of
perception.

And for that matter, if words are completely bound to their context and do
not refer in any meaningful way to a shared world, then how is it possible
that we can understand their words in any way whatsoever? If there is
nothing to language beyond how it is used in the context of a language game,
then there is no reference at all, and there is no common basis for
intelligibility.

It seems so much easier and better to me to take the "middle way" and
acknowledge that some aspects of mutual comprehension are culture-bound, but
language also describes a state of affairs that we more or less all
experience. Indeed, this is a common view in Indian Buddhism, and led to the
doctrine of "collective karma" in the Yogacara system.

Barnaby

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
- Emo Philips