[Buddha-l] japanese zen terms: honbun and shusho

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 17:11:12 MDT 2006

curt,

c> Well, since we have been talking about McEvilley so recently perhaps I
c> can go one step further with this.... I just wanted to say that the
c> "neo" Platonists have also been subjected to distorted interpretations
c> that they don't deserve (painting them as otherworldly dualists). The
c> very word "Neoplatonism" is itself a later (Christian) invention
c> intended to pry Plotinus away from Plato - something that Plotinus
c> himself would never have stood for. I think it's safe to say that from
c> Plotinus to Damascius the later Platonists didn't see anything "neo"
c> about what they were up to. An excellent source on the question of
c> whether or not the Neoplatonists were really "dualists" is Gregory
c> Shaw's "Theurgy and Soul: The Neoplatonism of Iamblichus"
c> (http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/0-271-01437-7.html). His answer is
c> more or less "no they weren't."

thanks for the info and book. I don't have things around this name
although he appears everywhere. The book is already in my list :)

best regards,