[Buddha-l] japanese zen terms: honbun and shusho

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 8 14:28:55 MDT 2006

And thanks for the link to the extremely relevant and interesting
article by Muller! He also does not use these terms "honbun" and
"shusho" or anything remotely resembling them. The primary term he uses
is "essence-function" aka "t'i-yung" or in Japanese "taiyu".

I found it interesting that Muller was pretty hard on
"Platonic/Christian" "dualistic" "connotations" with respect to the
English word "essence" as a translation of "t'i". I strongly agree with
him - except to note that there is far more to Platonism than
"Platonic/Christian dualism" which never really had very much to do with
Plato (or Aristotle or Socrates or Greek Philosophy at all). But that's
a topic for another day. I only mention it because I think that if one
abandons modern "analytical" as well as "Christianizing" versions of
Plato, then one has something that can indeed be "used" to approach such
concepts as "t'i". See, for example, the Phaedrus, the Symposium, the
Timaeus and the Philebus in which Plato reveals more of his
"nondualistic" side.

- Curt