[Buddha-l] Natural lucidity for Socrates

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 6 09:51:54 MDT 2006

jkirk schreef:

> Hi Eric,
> Any references for any of these? Who wrote that Alex. the Gr. took a
> sadhu with him? Who wrote about Pyrrhon and Jains?
> Thanks
> Joanna

Hi Joanna,
 I don't have a copy of Wilhelm Halbfass 'India and Europe' at hand, but that's where I would look first. I remember that the Jains have a doctrine called syaatvaada, a method of systematic doubt that recognises 7 possibilities for each event (true, nontrue both, neither, nondiscrabable (avyaktavyam) etc.). This seems to resemble closest the doctrine Pyrrhon preached in Athens. But Pyrrhon never said where he got his ideas from, do the evidence is circumstantial. Google gives a number of interesting hits on Pyrrhon and jains and syatvada.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950