[Buddha-l] Re: Natural lucidity for all, a Buddhist dream

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 04:31:13 MDT 2006

There is an anthropologist who studied with Kalu Rinpoche.  One of his interests was "lucid dreaming".  I am not sure if this was of the "Stephen LaBerge type".  I made the mistake of calling him Steven Levine in a previous post, who I think is a person who works with death and dying issues.

  The anthropologist used a mirror in the mandala offering practice instead of the standard bowl and rings.  He believed the use of the mirror would help him see that he was dreaming when he was dreaming - the concept called being awake and aware in your dreams - lucid dreaming.  He became quite successful at this.  He teamed up with a psychiatrist and a neuroscientist and co-wrote a book called "Brain, Symbol and Experience: Toward a Neurophenomenology of Human Consciousness" - a section of which describes this experience.

  I no longer have this book - gave it to a neuroscientist of my acquaintance - but I recall his explanation of how the mind learns through "entrainment" of brain cells.   Video gamers might be accidental tourists of the lucid dreaming world unless they are *consciously* trying to become awake and aware in their dreams.  Entertainment can facilitate entrainment, just like art can enhance enchantement.  Look at the northern lights - natural enchantement for all.