[Buddha-l] Re: **REALLY** Western Buddhism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 31 07:25:17 MST 2006

Sam Harris doesn't understand the inherent benefits of "making believe".
This could be a sign of serious psychological problems - but,
unfortunately, these kinds of problems are far from rare these days, so
they have the appearance of normalcy. If one's own mind is plagued with
darkness and dread, then it is difficult to comprehend how wonderful and
joyful it can be to simply "believe" what is in the mind. Also - if one
has difficulty distinguishing "real" reality from the world of the
imagination - then one will be uncomfortable around people who can - and
will likely think that they are dangerous hallucinating maniacs. Please
note that you can only know the difference between these two realms if
you are pretty familiar with both.

Everyone together now:

I DO believe in Celestial Bodhisattvas!
I DO believe in Celestial Bodhisattvas!