[Buddha-l] Re: there he goes again (sam harris)

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 10:37:36 MST 2006

Hello Joy and all,
If I understand you, then the point of your question
is to search
out dogmatic statements, to question them. If so, I
take that
either we can come with certainty that ekaayano means
the only path (as you seemed to do in reply to the
posting
by Lance Cousins) or we can examine whether this term
that in one putative gloss into English renders it as
"the
only way" ... The point that in Buddhaghosa's time
Buddhism
was widely accepted (in that society) vs. not so when
the
Buddha was first talking to other people, of course
makes
sense. And perhaps the Buddha was trying to do a good
job
of showing how he had something worth listening to.
Makes
sense. That does not change the specific passage in
question,
though, as far as I can see. If ekaayano (< eka +
ayana) has
the sense of going to one terminus, and not meaning
the only
way to get to that end-point, then "the only way"
would just
be a distorted rendering into English. Which is
apparently
the situation here. But I will let others substantiate
this if
that is called for.....
best wishes,
Mitchell G./Jinavamsa

See http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html with links
to my home page, to info on The Inner Palace (4th ed.) & on The Far
Shore (3rd ed.), & with further links to psychotherapy, to my current
teaching, & to the Insight Practice (Vipassana), Chishtiyya (Sufi),
Creative Solutions for Peace, & Nasrudin discussion groups.