[Buddha-l] there he goes again (sam harris)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Oct 28 11:06:08 MDT 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 22:46, Joy Vriens wrote:

> Don't those "picking up" the "practice" of "the four foundations of
> mindfulness" believe (for lack of a more appropriate word) that it is the
> only way for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and
> lamentation, for the destruction of suffering and grief, for reaching the
> right path, for the attainment of Nibbana?

I cannot speak for others. I can speak only for myself. I have practiced  the
four foundations of mindfulness for years without believing any of the things
you mention. Nothing I have ever experienced or thought about gives me
confidence that there is ANY means for the overcoming of sorrow and
lamentation and for the destruction of suffering and grief. That nibbana is
possible has never been among my beliefs.I rather like the idea of nibbana,
but not so much that I write it with a capitalized initial letter.

The only belief I have about the foundations of mindfulness is that I like
doing them, and doing them is a lot less expensive than other things I enjoy.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy