[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist Intolerance?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Oct 19 07:45:52 MDT 2006

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> One of the reasons for the Shogun was that the Christians were converted by Portuguese Jesuits (led by Father Xavier). They were Catholic and the Catholics obeyed another king in Europe (the Pope, for the same reason the Jesuits were thrown out of China). Ad the fact that most Christians were rebels and you have enough political reasons.
> The Dutch were alowed to stay on Decima, because they were not Catholics and even enemies of the Pope.

Add to that the fact that history proved the Japanese correct in their
suspicion that European Christian missionaries were in fact political
agents for foreign powers seeking to take over Japan. Japan went on to
become the most economically developed country outside of Europe and
it's colonies (and actually more developed than many European countries
and former colonies) - precisely because they caught the colonialist
weed in time and pulled it out by the roots. It wasn't pretty, but it
worked. One is tempted to wish that the Carib people had possessed this
kind of foresight.

And add to that the fact that Japan has historically - both before and
after this one-time event - welcomed foreign religions, such as
Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, and even Kirishitianity, to its soil.

The total length of time that Japan persecuted Christians was only
slightly longer than 200 years, I believe. By comparison the persecution
of Buddhists in Choson Korea was centuries longer (although less bloody
and thorough), and the Christian persecution of everything that moved
lasted, at a minimum from the time of Justinian (6th century) to the end
of the religious wars (17th century). But actually the generalized
persecution carried out by the Christians began under Constantine (early
4th century) ... and France still had capital punishment for the crime
of blasphemy into the 18th century. Britain still prosecuted blasphemers
in the 18th century - but did not execute those convicted. Actually,
there was even an infamous trial (leading to conviction) in the UK in
1977 (sic!) under the blasphemy laws
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/11/newsid_2499000/2499721.stm):
The case was brought as a private prosecution by the secretary of the
National Viewers and Listeners Association, Mary Whitehouse.

She objected to a poem and illustration published in the fortnightly
paper [The Gay News] last year about a homosexual centurion's love for
Christ at the Crucifixion.

After the jury gave their 10-2 guilty verdict at the Old Bailey Mrs
Whitehouse said: "I'm rejoicing because I saw the possibility of Our
Lord being vilified. Now it's been shown that it won't be".