[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist Intolerance?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Oct 18 15:24:47 MDT 2006

A minority religion can practice intolerance in at least three ways -
all of which are found in early (pre-Constantinian) Christianity:

(1) Literal iconoclasm against holy objects, places and persons of the
predominant religion(s). In other words, violent criminal acts ranging
from vandalism to arson to murder. Even a lone individual can do such a
thing. These acts do not require any particular "position" or "power" in
society. The same goes for the next two.

(2) Intolerance "against your own kind." Heresy hunting was already a
popular sport among Christians before they had any political power.

(3) "Theoretical" intolerance. Does a religion make an explicit claim to
have a monopoly on the truth? How much room, if any, is there in the
theology of a given religion for accepting the legitimacy of other
religions? Does a religion vigorously promote itself and require new
members to renounce all other religions?

#1 is pretty clear cut - but the other two require more nuanced
distinctions. For example - when you read Hakuin's tirades against
"silent illumination Zen" this starts to sound an awful lot like #2
above. I think that arguments can be made either way - but in the end I
am convinced that a clear distinction can be made between, say, an
Irenaeus, on the one hand (see his "Against All Heresies"), and a
Hakuin, on the other hand.

The third kind of intolerance above can, I think, be objectively
measured using the criterion of whether or not a religion allows its
members to belong to other religions. In some religions even mentioning
such an idea will draw blank stares - that is a bad sign.

There is more than enough data to conclude that there is no direct
correlation between being a "predominant" religion and being intolerant.
In fact - the very phenomenon of a "predominant" religion needs to be
examined more closely. Prior to the rise of Christianity, for example,
there was in fact no "predominant" religion in the region known as the
oikoumene ("known world"). The same could probably be said of India
today if it is granted that Hinduism is not a single religion but rather
a rich, tasty (and highly nutritious) stew of overlapping religious
movements.

I agree that Tibetan Buddhism provides one of the most important areas
for studying tolerance/intolerance in Buddhism. In Tibet the Buddhists
established a full-blown literal theocracy in which there was "not one
hair's breadth" between religion and the State - but at the same time
there was tremendous freedom of expression and variety within Tibetan
Buddhism. And while I think it's clear that Bon was in some ways
suppressed it nevertheless survived more or less intact (although
greatly diminished) - unlike, for example, any of the Pagan cults of the
Roman Empire (which, were either utterly annihilated or perhaps survived
in extreme secrecy under circumstances such that today any claim of
"continuity" is extremely tentative). For that matter, all of the
non-Nicene versions of early Christianity were wiped out, too. Points
should be given (or subtracted, depending on how you look at it) for
thoroughness, efficiency and zeal when it comes to intolerance.

But right behind Tibetan Buddhism should come Theravada. In the parts of
Asia where Theravada today holds sway there used to be a much wider
variety of Buddhisms - where did they go? Did they die of natural causes
or was there foul play?

- Curt