[Buddha-l] Buddhist Intolerance?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 17 08:06:10 MDT 2006

Jim Peavler wrote:

>> The second point is that this pattern of systemic religious violence
>> does not exist outside of Christendom (with the notable exceptions of
>> Islam & Communism). Violent persecution has been the exception rather
>> than the rule in places like, for example, the continent of Asia
>> (again, except for those portions that have fallen under the sway of
>> Christianity, Islam or Communism.)
>

> I agreed with your first point. I disagreed with your second point,
> and you have already mentioned a couple of exceptions. However, I
> think things got pretty rough in China during periods of religious
> "debate".

This would be an excellent area of research for people with the language
and other skills to really dig in and dig up whatever "dirt" there might
be in places like China and India with respect to active religious
persecution. But in addition to simply gathering evidence there has to
be some methodology for drawing meaningful and comparative conclusions.

There are legitimate cases of religious discrimination in the United
States today - but most of us would agree that this doesn't place us in
the same category as the early Calvinists (who had a fondness for
burning heretics alive). Merely citing individual cases of
discrimination doesn't amount to having proved the existence of
intolerance beyond those specific cases. For example - following 9/11
there was at least one murder of a Sikh - and there were many acts of
violence against people who merely looked like they might be Muslim - as
well as acts of violence against Mosques. Another example: the US
military allows literally hundreds of different religious emblems for
different religions on graves in Arlington cemetery - but they refuse to
allow any symbols for Wiccans or other Pagan religious groups. One must
find some way to go beyond merely listing specific cases and actually
determine what amounts to "intolerance" and "persecution" on a more
widespread and systemic level.

- Curt