[Buddha-l] Buddhist Intolerance?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 16 13:00:01 MDT 2006

This is something that I have had to wrestle with myself - being a Zen
student and something of an "old-school" type. That is to say, I like to
actually study the works of old dead Chinese, Korean and Japanese Zen
masters from days gone by - and those guys could be pretty rough! But as
far as I know no Zen Master ever, unlike, for example, Augustine of
Hippo, approved of the use of fines, imprisonment and torture against
people that they disagreed with. They were satisfied with listing the
various tortures that would be suffered by these miscreants in their
next lives - which is much more civilized - and a distinction that does
make a real difference.
- Curt