[Buddha-l] Buddhist Intolerance?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Oct 15 15:39:17 MDT 2006

Saying harsh things is completely different from intolerance. Holding
strong opinions necessarily results in having strong disagreements with
those who hold different opinions. Voicing those disagreements is not
"intolerant" - rather it is an obvious example of freedom of expression.

Now, if you organize a mob to physically assault people you disagree
with, or burn down their houses, or go on a campaign to systematically
eliminate all written evidence of the spiritual traditions of two entire
continents - that would be intolerant.

Westerners have been (understandably) psychologically traumatized by our
1700 year history of brutal religious intolerance. But outside of
Christendom vigorous debate and disagreement do not go hand in hand with
mob violence and state-sponsored persecution.

- Curt