[Buddha-l] Buddhist Intolerance?

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 16:40:04 MDT 2006

The sociopolitical histories of Buddhism in any Asian country where Buddhism
was or is of significance presence would serve as good examples:

(1) Tibet: How the institution of the Dalai Lama came into being.
The Potala with its police force and prisons.
The legitimation of power through tulkuhood.

(2) Japan: the sohei (monk army).

etc.

However two mitigating points should be noted here:
(1) There is always a strong silent traditional true-to-Dharma undercurrent
way from the ruckus.
(2) The sociopolitical is what makes it "Buddhism" as a living religion; the
spirituality of the still centre remains in the minds and teachings of the
forest monks and their like.

Piya