[Buddha-l] distortion and generalization

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 9 19:44:21 MDT 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 18:15, Elihu Smith wrote:

> There are lots of
> things in the American past which are sad, which are
> to be atoned for, but there is little that I see
> currently which could be called "imprisoning people
> who might be harmed by dangerously intolerant
> Americans."

This was precisely the official reason given for putting both war-resistors
and Japanese Americans in camps: to protect them. to protect themfrom whom?
I'm open to suggestions as to who might have been delivering the harm. My
guess is that the potential harmers might have been intolerant Americans, but
I am quitewilling to be shown wrong.

> It seems to me that stating this in this way only
> expresses and feeds anger and hatred.

Neither anger nor hatred was expressed by my words. I think you correctly
identified my sentiments in your opening paragraph: sadness.

> Certainly, the
> Buddha Dharma clarifies these poisons and their
> consequences.

Yes, the Buddha-dharma is quite effective in neutralizing negativity. Indeed,
my steadfast Buddhist practice is the principal reason why I have very little
anger or hatred toward any individuals or toward any groups of people or any
species of flora or fauna. But being of a generally loving and forgiving
nature does not preclude reminding people of truths that, if forgotten,
produce further suffering. No country on earth produces more unnecessary
suffering right now than my home and native land, and I will continue to draw
attention to this sad fact as long as it is true. For that is how the peace
that you wish for me and others is most likely to come into being.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy