[Buddha-l] Dissent or Service?

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Fri Oct 6 06:25:31 MDT 2006

In message <DreamMail__134408_21812206534 at smtp.nerim.net>, Joy Vriens
<joy.vriens at nerim.net> writes

>Charity is of course a fine thing, but not entirely unrelated to the
>building of a positive image. In the near future I foresee that there
>will be a break out of fighting and bitching between charity groups of
>various religions, corporates, gay and lesbian right groups, divorced
>fathers unions, movie stars, pop stars etc. over their rights to
>service specific hospice projects, soup kitchens, prison outreach, etc.
>Whose flag will float on top of the homeless shelter homes ? Who will
>win the fierce competition of the right to serve them soup?

Indeed. I even note competition at the level of the individual who seeks
to say something beneficial.  In our discussion evenings, should someone
present a difficult experience or a problem they have encountered, there
are several wannabee Bodhisattvas who want to speak up - me being one of
them. It seems to be a sort of merit-grasping - all good-humoured at the
moment.

--
Metta
Mike Austin