[Buddha-l] Dumbo's feather Re:Buddhism and psychoactive substances

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Wed Oct 4 06:54:18 MDT 2006

Bonjour curt,

>Et bonsoir mes ami Joy,

Et merci mon ami Curt.

>Strassman thinks that the pituitary gland (this might start sounding
>familiar to any Tantrikas out there) produces "endogenous" DMT during
>birth, death - and any really good spiritual experiences that might
>occur in between. Since the pituitary is deep inside the brain itself -
>the DMT produced there will get to brain cells without being
>enzymatically degraded first. This is a very "testable" hypothesis in
>principle but doing the experiments requires getting over some
>significant hurdles. First - DMT is a class one controlled substance in
>the United States and it's almost impossible to get legal permission to
>use it at all - let alone in experiments on humans. Which brings us to
>the second hurdle - experimenting on humans. But not just on humans in a
>general way - you have to find some way of measuring the levels of DMT
>inside people's brains. It's hard to find a lawyer who would even
>consider trying to draw up a "consent form" for that kind of experiment!
>One of the really great things about Strassman's book, by the way, is
>the first section in which he goes through the early history of
>"psychedelic research" - when any Tom, Dick or Timothy Leary could just
>give their "patients" (or friends or students) some LSD and just sit
>back to watch what happened. Ah - those were the good old days.

In my current approach to what I consider a "spiritual" "path" to be, the use of psychoactive substances and of magical techniques such as yoga, breathing, pranayama etc. with the intention of influencing one's perception, mental and/or physical state is control-related. Who and/or what wants to control what and what for? Genuin spirituality imo ought to be close to total ahimsa, non interference, or non-intentional interference. Why would that be genuin spirituality? No idea. Is it possible at all? Probably not. But if it can't make Dumbo fly without a feather, it doesn't deserve the name "spiritual" path.

Arbitrarily yours,

Joy