[Buddha-l] Buddhism and psychoactive substances

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:16:03 MDT 2006

Hi Curt

I believe that you have misconstrued my meaning here. I did not say that the
Strassman study was bad or poorly-executed, I said that it was limited in
scope. Strassman speculates freely and broadly about endogenous DMT and its
relationship to the pineal gland and the spirit, but his speculation goes
well beyond the data gathered in his modest study. He is free to make
whatever speculations that he wishes, but it is important to distinguish
between speculation and experimental data. The Hopkins study specifically
examined the mystical nature of the psilocybin experience where the
Strassman study did not.

I certainly do not think that being motivated by Buddhist sympathies is a
problem. Again, I'm saying we must dsitinguish between semi-empirical claims
motivated by theory, and research data.

I am not quite sure what you mean in your discussion of dosage. Oral
ingestion of psychoactive substances is not less precise than intramuscular
injection. One goes in the arm, and the other goes in your stomach, but the
precision of measurement is the same.

regards,
Barnaby Thieme

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with
stupidity, and make it work for you.
- Frank Zappa