[Buddha-l] Is Guanyin Catholic?

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 19:23:36 MDT 2006

Jon,

I find the idea of "disembodied metta" very puzzling.
> Could you say more?

This is the highest stage in Metta cultivation, when after bringing the
lovingkindness in focus and vibrance, one no needs to "verbalise" or
generate it as it were. This is the stage of "breaking the barriers" where
the metta is totally inclusive and unconditional.

Ajahn Brahm explains this term in his book "Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond"
on page 71.

For meditation practitioners, this book would prove more accessible and
useful than Buddhaghosa's Visuddhimagga. Please do not take me for my word:
read the book itself before the second print comes out.

Piya