[Buddha-l] Is Guanyin Catholic?

Jon Weaver jonsweaver at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 10:17:04 MDT 2006

After considerable searching, I excavated the book title (thank you Alibris):
The Divine Woman-Dragon Ladies and Rain Maidens in T'ang Literature
by Edward H. Schafer, North Point Press, 1980.

Piya - thank you for the additional "good reads."
I find the idea of "disembodied metta" very puzzling.
Could you say more? I understand the need to desexualize
or degender the concept of love, but emphasizing the mother-infant
imagery would accomplish that.

I recall that Buddhaghosa uses imagery of the mother-child relationship
as exemplars of the 4 immeasurables. It is interesting that it wasn't literally expressed
earlier than Guanyin. Is mother-child imagery associated with metta in the Pali Canon?

Metta, JON

Message: 7