[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #2

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Thu Nov 30 15:36:14 MST 2006

Dear Dan et al,

Here is my understanding of T1506, interleaved with Dan's version.  Some
differences are stylistic in nature, but others are more significant.   If
nothing else, these several versions will demonstrate to the uninitiated
just how difficult it can be to make sense of these and similar sources for
the Sammitiyas etc.

For those who do not have Thich Thien Chau's version to hand, the context of
this short passage is an exposition of ignorance (avidyaa) -- which is
divided into three aspects.  The first aspect is non-knowledge (aj~naana)
with regards to three topics: the conditioned (sa.msk.rta), the
unconditioned  (asa.msk.rta) and avaktavya.  It seems that avaktavya is may
be posited as a third category, neither conditioned nor unconditioned.  In
the section on avaktavya, I regard it as shorthand for avaktavya-pudgala.  I
have left avaktavya untranslated because its usage needs more thought -- on
my part, if nobody else's -- though I do not think that it means the
"ineffable".   The three sets of prajnaptis are three aspects to the verbal
/ conceptual use of the pudgala idea, hence I have spelt that out here.

My version is just based on my understanding of these difficult texts --
Thien Chau's version skates over the difficult bits and also he has some
obvious errors.  Priestley I have never seen  -- though it has been on my
wish list for a long time.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

DL: Why is it unsayable ?  A: The unsayable are the prajñaptis of
appropriation-, the past-, and cessation.  [These are] prajñapti of
appropriation, prajñapti of the past, prajñapti of cessation. If someone is
not aware of [that], that means they're unaware of what's "unsayable."
-----
SH:  What is the avaktavya-[pudgala] ?   The avaktavya-[pudgala] refers to
the prajñaptis concerning appropriation, the past and cessation.   When one
does not understand prajñaptis concerning appropriation, the prajñaptis
concerning the past and the prajñaptis concerning cessation, this is
non-knowledge (ajñana) concerning the avaktavya-[pudgala].

DL:  Prajñapti of appropriation [involves] that sentient beings are analyzed
[to be] the same or different from the skandhas, dhaatus and aayatanas they
have already appropriated.
-----
SH:  Regarding prajñaptis concerning appropriation, they state whether the
being (sattva) who has appropriated the skandhas, dhaatus and aayatanas is
the same or different to them.

DL:  As to prajñapti of the past, one says "because of past skandhas,
dhaatus, and aayatanas," such as when one says: "At that time I was named
Ku'sendra."
----
SH:  Regarding prajñaptis concerning the past, it is based on them that one
speaks of past skandhas, dhaatus, and aayatanas, as when [the Buddha] said
"At that time, I was called *Ku'sendra".

DL:  As to prajñapti of cessation, one says "it is because appropriation has
already ceased," such
as when one says: "The Bhagavat's Parinirva.na."
----
SH:  Regarding prajñaptis concerning cessation, they are spoken when these
causal appropriations
have ceased, such as when it is said that "The Bhagavat has parinivana'ed".

DL:  Next, prajñapti of the past dispenses with [the idea] that sentient
beings are annihilated.  Prajñapti of cessation dispenses with [the idea]
that they exist permanently. Prajñapti of appropriation [of skandhas, etc.]
dispenses with [the idea that the sentient being is] non-existent. Prajñapti
of non-appropriation dispenses with [the idea that the sentient being qua
self] exists.
----
SH:  Moreover, prajñaptis concerning the past counteract [the notion that]
beings are annihilated, prajñaptis concerning cessation counteract [the
notion that they] exist eternally, prajñaptis concerning appropriation
counteract [the notion that] beings exists, and prajñaptis of
non-appropriation counteract [the notion that] beings exist.  A lack of
understanding of each of these is "ignorance concerning the
avaktavya-[pudgala].