[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #3b

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Wed Nov 29 19:54:17 MST 2006

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> (The Sanskrit word quxia has ten names: sheep, eye, earth, sky, water,
> expression, space, diamond, light,
> and severed.  [snip]
> [The ten terms listed by Dao'an are not clear correlates of kuśa, though
> some work.

The reason why Dao-an's gloss doesn't really work with "kuśa" is because he
is actually listing the meanings for "go" (or "gau.h").  There is an almost
exact list in the Amarako'sa:
"svarge.su-pa'su-vaag-vajra-di'n-netra-dh.r.ni-bhuu-jale" (heaven, arrow,
bull, speech, thunderbolt, quarter, eye, ray of light, earth and water).   I
have not had time to check the Medini-ko'sa.   But this also suggests that
the personal name is not "ku'sa", but something beginning with "go" or
"gau".

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge