[Buddha-l] Are we sick of dogma yet? (2nd of 2)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 16:16:36 MST 2006

Lance,

I failed to mention, while questioning Yijing's reliability in details, that
despite his claim of no Sammitiyas in the north, there is evidence to
contrary. Did he just not consider Sind the north, or was he unaware of
Sammitiya presence there? Derryl Maclean, in his _Religion and Society in
Arab Sind_ (Leiden, 1989), which covers the period 711-1026, claims, on the
basis of Muslim and Indian records, that the Buddhists there were
predominantly Sammitiya (unitl they gradually became Muslims). That would
also answer the question of whether the destruction of Valabhi terminated
Sammitiya presence. Obviously not. A review of the book by Fritz Lehmann,
that discusses the Sammitiyas, can be found in JAOS, 112, 3, (July-Sept
1992) 538-39.

Dan Lusthaus