[Buddha-l] The root of ignorance?

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 08:04:24 MST 2006

Hi Stefan,

I think in the fact that your statement is a tautology lies the efficacy of
the Buddhist teaching beginning its ontology with ignorance rather than say
God or some primordial force.

If it is God, one could go on questioning ad infinitum, only intolerance and
blind faith could make such a notion work.

However, if one says suffering begins in ignorance, and one were to ask,
what is the cause of ignorance. The best answer is "I don't know!" That's
ignorance, all right, but in the real sense. Now there's the rub: we have
hit the frontiers of expressible language.

Piya