[Buddha-l] ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Tue Nov 21 00:15:57 MST 2006

On 20 Nov 2006, at 4:07 AM, Michael LaTorra wrote:

> Is the world an illusion, or a simulation?
>
> Or are we in the improbable position of living in the vanishingly
> short time
> period before massive world-simulations begin?
>
> See philosopher Nick Bostrom's argument below.

It is entirely possible that we live in a computer simulation.
However, on what basis can we decide that the next level "up" is the
computer? It could be a virtual computer being simulated in software
a higher-order computer, the way I can simulate a Commodore 64 on my
Apple to play old games. And THAT one could be a virtual computer
being simulated in an even-higher-order computer and so on and so
on .... On what basis can we decide that we've hit the actual hardware?

Infinite regression is fun, and it keeps philosophers gainfully
employed and off the streets. But the flat-footed Dutchman in me says
that if this universe is an illusion, it is a remarkably stable, well-
organised and persistent illusion, and I might as well deal with it
as being reality.

Play nice now, programs
Michel the skeptical subroutine