[Buddha-l] Text Suggestions Sought

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 20 14:27:13 MST 2006

On Monday November 20 2006 12:58, alx437 at charter.net wrote:

>       I have been given an assignment to come up with an introductory
> university class on India, and my question to you is what text would you
> recommend? Administration wants only one, relatively recent. My personal
> inclination is to go with the venerable Sourceboook in Indian Philosophy,
> but it is probably too old to get the okay from admins. Do any of you fine
> people out there know of a more recent book that would be suitable? Thanks
> for your help!

Considerably more recent than Radhakrishnan is Sources of Indian Tradition, by
Ainslie Thomas Embree, Stephen N. Hay, and William Theodore De Bary. It's in
two volumes, one dealing with classical India and another with modern India
and Pakistan. It would be very difficult to do justice to both classical and
modern India in a single course, so you'd have to choose the time period and
then pick the appropriate volume.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy