[Buddha-l] Re: Withdrawal of the senses

W. Codling waynewc at telus.net
Mon Nov 20 11:22:41 MST 2006

Thank you Michael for that summary of "The Matrix".  I have seen a
couple of them and could never figure out what the film offered that had
so many people attaching so much significance to it's content.  To me
the films resemble more those martial arts films that suggest the
availability of super-human abilities deriving from esoteric and
demanding training.  But your summary points out some interesting
spiritual-cum-religious aspects which I did not appreciate.

The insight that almost any line of enquiry will lead to some of sort of
dyadic foundation is, I think, rather easily come to.  The reflex is to
pick one; or better, to think that a choice must be made.  You have made
the argument for why a choice must be made, but many forms of Buddhist
thought suggest that is a false conclusion.  It's a false, but
inevitable conclusion based on the interrogative notion, 'why?'.  It is
surely a cliche by now that the basic Buddhist interrogative notion is
'what?'.  Following the 'what is is?' line of meditative inquiry also
leads to a dyadic insight, but it lacks the urgency of the 'why is it?'
questioning.  Yogacara thought suggests that picking one of the pills is
'falling into extremes' and tries to articulate a relationship between
the extremes which is not mutually exclusive.  We are told in Zen that
there's a hair's breadth difference between samsara and nirvana, so the
pills should be almost the same colour if one wanted to convert the
Matrix into a Buddhist parable.  The iconographic point made by having
the pills red/blue illustrates a conceptual assumption about the
relationship between the two.  The whole point of the film would be
different if the pills were almost the same colour; and I predict that
this would make no sense to us because our icon-receptors are not
configured to this notion of the basic relationship.
Wayne