[Buddha-l] ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

ralf.steckel at online.ms ralf.steckel at online.ms
Sun Nov 19 23:50:39 MST 2006

Dear Michael,

as anybody who loved to read science fiction as a boy i liked the Matrix triology as well. Nevertheless the idea that the world is a computer simulation by a "posthuman" entity fails in my opinion the principle of Occam's razor 'that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating, or "shaving off," those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory' (quoted from Wikipedia).

I think that buddhist explanations about the quality of illusion in the world aware to our senses require less assumptions than the computer simulation by a "posthuman" entity and therefor is to prefer.

Best Regards,

Ralf Steckel