[Buddha-l] Withdrawal of the senses

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Nov 17 12:35:50 MST 2006

I made a point of avoiding that movie for years, until I went to an
anti-war teach-in near the beginning of the present f*cked up mess in
Iraq - one of the speakers was a high school student representing "Not
In Our Name". I thought, "oh great - some Maoist punk teenager - this
should be should really stupid." Instead he gave one of the most rousing
speeches I've ever heard at a political event - and it was mostly based
on the Matrix. By the end of the speech there were 10,000 of us (mostly
old farts who had protested many wars already) all cheering and chanting
"TAKE THE RED PILL TAKE THE RED PILL TAKE THE RED PILL!!!!" I rented the
Matrix that night - it is a really great movie!

Here's how it goes - there are two pills you can take. One allows you to
stay asleep and never even realize that you are dreaming. The other one
wakes you up - and you can never go back to sleep again. Most people
take the blue pill - and most of the people who take the red pill regret
it. It is an almost perfect description of enlightenment. It is also an
almost perfect example of what Richard Hayes is always saying: that the
teachings of the Buddha aren't really all that complicated. Even
Hollywood producers and Maoist teenagers can understand it.

- Curt