[Buddha-l] Withdrawal of the senses

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Nov 17 11:28:39 MST 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 00:38, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> >I would even say that
> > the are some thinkers who can be interpreted as being quite similar to
> > perrenialists. In other words, one can arrive at legitimate perennialist
> > interpretations of some Indian thinkers.
>
> Name one -- seriously.

Without too much difficulty one can come up with at least a family resemblance
between neo-Platonists and advaita vedaanta. Among Buddhists, Ratnakiirti
could legitimately be interpreted along neo-Platonic lines.

> Nagarjuna does not privilege the One over many, mind over matter, universal
> forms over concrete particulars, God over the mundane, or pretty much
> anything else neoplatonists try to peddle.

As you and I read Nagarjuna, he is not very neo-Platonic at all. But not
everyone agrees with us. Nagarjuna as depicted by Venkata Ramanan and T.R.V.
Murti is much more similar to a neo-Platonist approach. Their way of seeing
Nagarjuna is not one that I prefer, but I am unwilling to dismiss their
depiction as wrong-headed or just plain illegitimate.

As you and I read Vasubandhu and Dignaga, these folks are quite a bit more
like phenomenalists than like Berekleyan or Bradleyan idealists. But I may be
less willing than you to dismiss the idealist interpretation altogether. I
see it is a perfectly legitimate interpretation (that is, an interpretation
that one could arrive at without too much straining of the texts), but one
that I personally find so incompatible with my own personal beliefs that I
would prefer not to advocate it.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy