[Buddha-l] Withdrawal of the senses

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Nov 16 11:48:28 MST 2006

Dan Lusthaus wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I am leaving for a conference (AAR) tomorrow morning, so I don't have time
> at present for a protracted debunking of the perennial philosophy
> appropriation of asian thought.

Let's not debunk the baby while we're debunking the bathwater. Here are
some "greatest hits" in Perennial Philosophy:

Plato's Timaeus
Plutarch's Isis and Osiris
Apuleius' Metamorphoses
Iamblichus' On the Mysteries of the Egyptians
The collected works of Marsilio Ficino and Cornelius Agrippa

Modern works include:
M.L. West "The East Face of Helikon"
Walter Burkert "The Orientalizing Revolution"

M.L. West has stated that Greek literature should be considered a
sub-genre of Near-Eastern Literature. He also once quipped "Culture,
like all forms of gas, tends to spread out from where it is densest into
adjacent areas where it is less dense."

- Curt