[Buddha-l] Query--forest tradition monks in Japan today?

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Fri Nov 10 19:38:27 MST 2006

> Thanks for this information, Stephen.  Any idea at all whether
> "quelling" is referring to the monks or to the mountains?  There are
> quite a few ways that this term could be taken.  Thanks!
>
> Regards
> Kate

Most likely "he who quells the mountains".

There is a mountain ascetic (very harsh) called "gyou" ("practice") that
involves starvation and marathon runs round the mountains. I've seen a
video documentary on it many moons ago - can't remember if it is Tendai or
Shingon.

Anyway, I've met a old monk who have met this other monk who holds the
record for doing this 3 times (or something). My friend's comment was
"the practice only helped blow up his ego".

By the way, (by association), Discovery Channel once also featured a
Shingon practice of self-mumification. Really interesting... apparently,
Kukai invented the practice.

W.F. Wong