[Buddha-l] Query--forest tradition monks in Japan today?

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Fri Nov 10 07:19:19 MST 2006

Kate Marshall wrote:

>"Bushi" means "warrior," though in light of Joanna's question regarding
>weapons,
> perhaps a further explanation is warranted.

No, no, no !  Not here.  The "bushi" in "yamabushi" is a completely
different word.  It is written with the character human radical (ninben) +
dog, meaning something like "quelling" -- though I am not sure ofthe precise
etymology for "yamabushi".  I think there is some useful material about
these people in Carmen Blacker's Catalpa Bow.  I met some of these guys
while I was in Japan and did fire-walking (one of their specialities) with
them while I was in Japan.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge