[Buddha-l] Query--forest tradition monks in Japan today?

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 9 20:14:00 MST 2006

Joanna and gang,

You wrote,

> Franz-please say more about the Daruma-Shu Zen school---did they build
> hermitages or just hang out and camp?

My knowledge of the Daruma-shu is surpassingly scant and entirely
indirect, having been gained in the study of Dogen and other
institutional figures of early Japanese Zen. So what they *really*
taught and practiced I'm not sure of. What I do know, is they were a
very early Zen school in Japan, with temples and all that jazz, and
that both Dogen and Yosai/Eisei--in other words both mainline Soto and
Rinzai founders--excoriated them and anathematized them for
antinomianism. Whether they were really antinomian, I'm not sure, but
they did argue that the precepts were not fundamentally important, as
the original mind was pure and unstained by afflictions. Not so
different from Tendai, but somehow they got themselves branded as
unworthy and proscribed by the government (along with Honen and Shinran
and that ragged lot). The interesting thing to me about the Daruma-shu,
though, is there is some record of them surviving at least until the
15th century. Who did they minister to, if anyone? Who supported them?
Where did they practice? How did they transmit the dharma--and the
authority of the school? Theirs has got to be a fascinating story. I
don't know if anyone has studied this stuff in English. In fact, I
don't know if anyone has studied it in Japanese, but surely someone
has.

So there you are: the more eccentric the Buddhism, the less we know
about it. (Except modern Western Buddhism, which is indeed marginal,
but is also practiced by successful, educated, white people and so is
exhaustively studied.)

With metta,

Franz