[Buddha-l] A vocabulary question for StephenandLance(oranyoneelse)

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Mon Nov 6 20:43:51 MST 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:

Wonderful news! I have been using an early draft of that book (so early it
was
done on a typewriter!). Even that early draft was superb, and I'm sure the
published work will be much improved.
****
Dear Richard,
Glad to be of service !   Sounds as though it might fill a lacuna in the
textbooks available.   Well, with my free publicity here and your
endorsement, the deserving Tubb will no doubt sell enough copies to retire
on.
------
A bit of completely meaningless Sanskrit trivia: Gary Tubb and I went to the
same high school and hated many of the same teachers, especially the
sadistic
Fascist ex-Marine who taught physical education.
****
There is some kind of causal / karmic mechanism that leads some to study
Sanskrit (definitely for the masochist) and/or Buddhism (all that duhkha) --
my most hated teacher was also a sadistic, fascist ex-army PE teacher.  We
must share stories to see how the UK brand of sadistic, fascist PE teacher
compares with yours.  An example to give you some idea:  my secondary school
was newly-built and I had never seen a spacious fully-equiped gym before.
But it was over three months before we ever got to use it.  All we did was
to change into our PE togs, rush down into the gym, stand in line, rush back
up, strip and shower, dress, go outside and line up again and then repeat
the process for the whole hour.  There was some kind of time target
involved -- we were never going to use that gym until we could change in 3
mins and then shower + dress in 7 minutes.  To this day, I hate the stink of
gym changing rooms.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge