[Buddha-l] Tortoise mind?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 6 01:57:32 MST 2006

L.S. Cousins schreef:
> Erik,
>
>> I would say that this is purely concentration (samadhi) and it is
>> very much in line with the ontological dualism of the Giita (Arjuna
>> is advised to start the battle, because only the bodies of the
>> combattants suffer and not the souls). This is in my view due to
>> samkhya influence. Samkhya promisses moksha via separation of purusha
>> (citta) and prak.rti (kevalam or isolation), so a first step would be
>> to 'forget' the sensual stimuli, which then would become nonexistent,
>> because when the mind no longer mixes with the sensual organs, they
>> stop functioning.
>
> Just a quick correction. Purus.a is not mind, but rather something
> like spirit i.e. 'our real nature'. Both mind and matter constitute
> prakr.ti, the alien nature with which we falsely identify. The goal of
> Saam.khya (including some Upanis.ads) is the unity which occurs when
> false identification ceases.
If you make corrections why not do it correctly? The word 'mind' has
such a wide variety of meanings that my first explanation could very
well be interpreted as correct. Puru.sa is the mind in Hegelian or
Fichtian sense. And if you insist Lance, I would rather call puru.sa the
noumenon or logos, but certainly not a spirit. The mind that you
consider part of prak.rti, the ahamkara and the manas, I would rather
call mental formations, they are phenomena.

> Buddhists have traditionally held that this is a misinterpretation of
> some kind of formless attainment. I do not know what the followers of
> Saam.khya would have replied to that.

Probably what you already mentioned: that it's about realizing your own
nature.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950