[Buddha-l] Re: buddha-l Digest, Vol 21, Issue 7

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Nov 5 17:01:34 MST 2006

> Joanna, an wonderful question. Without suggesting that this is the
> intention of the original writer, a modern interpretation might be
> that sense organs are constantly tuned to their particular inputs,
> ready for the next surprise. Recent research at USC has shown that
> visual attention circuits constantly operate as Bayesian surprise
> calculators, confirming Shannon's famous communicaton theory formula.
> Each sense has its own objects, that which it is capable of sensing
> (although we moderns recognize cross-modality and that cognition
> occurs downstream from the initial sensory input). Therefore, I
> believe the writer is asserting that by withdrawing the senses from
> their objects, the constant stream of environmental information is
> interrupted, and higher states can occur. I believe the writer
> therefore equates the knowledge and skill to accomplish this with the
> establishment of wisdom.
>
> Malcolm Dean
> Los Angeles
=======================
Hi Malcolm,
Well, since I don't know anything about Bayesian surprise calculators nor
Shannon's communication theory formula, I can't respond.
I do know that each sense has its own objects, most of the time (except in
synesthesia), and I think you got the Gita's meaning right.

I simply do not believe that anyone can "withdraw" senses as completely as
that text apparently thinks is possible. However, there have been some
famous yogis in India, so who knows?---maybe some of them accomplished it.
Yogic accomplishments often have seemed to me to be beside the point--
technical performances that do not necessarily signify attainment of
Buddhist goals, anyway. As Lance wrote, deep samadhi might be a comparable
state to what the Gita was on about.
I guess what I was getting at is that I do not find the Gita's position to
be morally acceptable, in many instances (if one considers to whom it was
originally addressed, to Arjuna on the eve of battle and his moral conflict
over warfare against his relatives). That, of course, was then--but some
people think the Gita's advice is wisdom for now, today. I don't think so.
Joanna