[Buddha-l] Re: there he goes again (samharris)

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 4 02:58:19 MST 2006

Dear Ven. Piya Tan,

>The 10 suttas of the Okkanti Samyutta clearly states that one can
>become a stream-winner in this life itself through anicca,sa~n~naa,
>with no meditation menioned. As we know, a stream-winner will gain
>awakening in seven lives at the most. So this is a good path of lay
>practitioners.

I don't interpret it quite like this. To analyse in detail:

The ten Suttas are arranged for chanting and ease of memorization,
but if you rearrange to fit the logic, what you get is:

1. the 18 elements (eye, etc.);

2. recognition that they are impermanent, changing and liable to alteration;

3. application of conditioned arising (contact > feeling > craving
with the rest of the contact pentad interspersed between)

4.
either:
one has faith (saddahati) in this way and opens the mind
(adhimuccati) to these truths (dhamme)
or:
one understands these truths (dhamme) in this way and accepts what he
has to an extent contemplated;

5. what is later/elsewhere called path of stream-entry.

The last two Suttas indicated that the same process can apply to the
six elements (earth, etc.) and the five aggregates.

So this describes the process of developing insight in classical form.

It says nothing about what precepts have been observed or what kind
of meditation object has been developed previously.

We should assume that the discourse envisages the normal practices of
the Suttas.

That said, stream-entry involves at least the same level of
concentration as first jhaana; so it is difficult to suppose that
first jhaana is prerequisite (as opposed to helpful).

>  In Ajahn Brahm's latest book, "Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond: A
>meditator's handbook" he has confirmed this (pp 225 f), he has
>confirmed this.

I have not yet seen this.

Lance Cousins