[Buddha-l] Tortoise mind?

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 3 14:49:34 MST 2006

Joanna,

>When one is able to withdraw his senses from their objects under any
>circumstance, just as a tortoise withdraws its limbs into the shell - his
>wisdom is firmly established.
>
>Bhagavad gita, 2.58.
>-------
>I suspect there are similar adages in the Pali canon to this one; or
>are there?

There are various references to tortoises and turtles in the Pali
texts, including several Jaatakas. I suppose that the closest to this
Giitaa passage would be at S IV 177ff. - the Kumbhopamasutta. But
here it is used to illustrate guarding the sense doors. I don't think
this involves trying to suppress the senses. It is spelt out that
when one sees a visible object with the eye, one should not grasp at
either the general appearance or at details. Similarly for each of
the other five senses. There is no suggestion that one should try to
suppress the operation of the senses altogether.

>I wonder how one can accomplish withdrawing one's senses from objects.
>If one holds to the idea of the inseparableness of mind and body,
>considering these to be aspects of one biological process, it
>wouldn't seem possible as stated in this adage from the Gita. Would
>it not be more helpful to observe what happens in the thought
>process when one's senses apprehend this or that object?  Or would
>this claimed withdrawal be an aspect of concentration instead of
>insight meditation?

I can't speak for the Giitaa which I have not studied much. But as
regards Buddhism I don't see a problem. There are certainly sleep
states with little or no sensory awareness. I suppose one could
suggest that due to the inseparableness of mind and body that is
impossible, but it doesn't seem a very plausible position.

There may be states of concentration without mindfulness, but this
would not be what is meant by jhaana in the Buddhist texts. Rather
that would involve states of peacefulness and increasing clarity and
awareness. So if there are periods when the senses operate minimally
or not at all, one should emerge from that state with a much more
subtle mental awareness, much better able to observe ordinary,
thought processes. So I see each as helpful to the other.

Perhaps I should add that I do not believe you could develop jhaana
by trying to suppress the senses or by trying to stop thinking. Those
things may happen at times, but only as a natural by-product of a
process of mental development.

>Would this practice be related to preparing for warfare (as in the
>Mahabharata, where we find the Gita, and with Krishna advocating
>that kshatriyas must observe their warrior dharma, etc.).
>
>The simile of the tortoise hints at maintaining a shell-like armor
>around one's persona, usually dubbed a socially dysfunctional
>defensive attitude by psychologists.

I think one would have to look at particular states.

Or, perhaps Buddhism is socially dysfunctional :-)

Lance Cousins