[Buddha-l] Photographs of buddha-l regulars

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Nov 2 07:46:30 MST 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 03:59, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Dharmakirti, of course, was a Yogacara.

I have never seen any compelling evidence for that view. I think the project
of putting the names on schools onto Buddhists a thousand years after they
lived is ludicrous.

Incidentally, if you claim that Dharmakirti is a Yogacarin, and if you know
that I have done some work on Dharmakirti, do you not find it odd that you
also suggest that I have never read a Yogacara text? Or do you not have a
hang-up about consistency?

> Was he a "real idealist"?

I think he may have been. I'm not sure. The textual evidence is too difficult
for me to interpret. So I remain agnostic.

> (Asanga,
> Vasubandhu, Dignaga, Sthiramati, Dharmapala, Xuanzang, et al. weren't, but
> then they obviously didn't understand as well as Richard what being a
> Yogacara should entail.)

You may well be begging the question. The very question on the floor is
whether the folks you mentioned are idealists. From what I can gather,
Vasubandhu and Dignaga most probably were idealists, although I am not sure
that the Yogacara label should be pinned on Dignaga. I have not read the
other folks you mention.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy