[Buddha-l] Re: there he goes again (samharris)

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Thu Nov 2 05:03:34 MST 2006

Hi Lance,

>>I find this a very interesting theme, which unfortunately wasn't
>>elaborated enough in the thread "The Body in Buddhist Practice". The
>>more yogic Jhaana theory, which you seem to follow, seems to give
>>prevalence to the jhaana approach in which "the deathless element is
>>touched with the body".

>I do think that this is the main emphasis of the ancient tradition.

I agree, I think it has to be, especially if the objective is peace.

Thank you for your patience and explanations. I appreciate them a lot.

In a posting answering Vicente, you wrote:

"To put it another way, the path has three aspects: siila, samaadhi
and paññaa. The first concerns what we do, the second what we are and
the third how we understand. So precepts are part of the task of
improving our actions, concentration i.e. samaadhi and jhaana is the
way in which we work on improving our mental state and wisdom is to
make our manner of knowing more profound."

which I particularly like for its clarity and concision.

Joy