[Buddha-l] Was Buddha a Buddhist

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue May 23 08:58:25 MDT 2006

The Buddha was definitely a "follower of the Way" - or at least he is
certainly conceived as such in "traditional" Buddhism. He is also
generally assumed to have kept the highest possible standards in regard
to his personal conduct. Certainly no "traditional" Buddhist would think
anything other than that whatever the Buddha taught, he also practiced.

One "traditional" source that might not be obvious would be Master
Keizan's "Transmission of the Lamp". This is a series of "transmission"
stories going from Shakyamuni Buddha to Dogen. Other sources to check
out would be modern works on the Buddha's life that make use of primary
sources. One that is short and sweet is Sherab Chodzen Kohn's "Awakened
One" - which hits the high points and can easily be read in a few hours.

The Buddha was a very successful teacher in his own lifetime - at least
so the story goes. That would seem to mean that there is a good chance
that the movement that bears his name also bears some resemblance to
what he himself set in motion. This is to be contrasted with the
situation of Jesus - who had very little impact in his lifetime, and,
therefore, much less direct impact on the mass religious movement that
was associated with him much later. So arguing from Christianity to
Buddhism with regard to the relationship between the founder and the
movement is hazardous.

- Curt