[Buddha-l] Beyond Hope

Gregory Bungo gbungo at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 15:17:29 MDT 2006

Hi Curt,

<curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:
 (snip)
> That is not an immediately practical answer to
>the very real problem of the incredible rate of incarceration in the
>United States (higher than anything Stalin or Mao ever achieved) - but
>the more one is familiar with the realities of the U.S. prison system,
>the more revolutionary one is likely to become in one's outlook.
 (snip)

Do you have evidence to back up your statement about Stalin
and Mao?  Even if it is true, I suspect it would be due to the very
high mortality rate in the Stalinist and Maoist prisons.  The high
population of China would also be a factor.  Why imprison people
when they can be put to work against their will on a collective farm?

By the way, I'm not defending the U.S. prison system.  The
mandatory sentences for some offenses are outrageous.  There
are many people in prison who should be in medical treatment
programs.

Sincerely,

Greg Bungo